Tuesday, July 16, 2024

J.D. Vance's rise prompts hillbilly musings from Latino columnist

Columnis Gustavo Arellano writes in today's Los Angeles Times under the headline, "I know what a true hillbilly is, and it's not J.D. Vance."  Here's an excerpt, which at least nods to the rural connotation of hillbilly:  
From the moment I learned about hillbillies as a child, I was entranced.

Good ol’ boys and girls born high up in the mountains? That’s my parents. People who moved from rural towns to metro areas in search of a better life? Story of both sides of my family. Working class? My upbringing. Lovers of things — food, fashion, music, diction, parties — that polite society ridiculed? Yee-haw! Stubbornly clinging to their ancestral lands and ways? ¡Ajúa!

I learned to love bourbon, bluegrass, “Hee Haw” reruns and Jeff Foxworthy’s “You Might Be a Redneck If ...” series. As an adult, I drove through the small towns of central and eastern Kentucky and Tennessee, feeling at home in areas even my white friends warned wouldn’t take kindly to “my type.” I might not have outwardly resembled the ’billies I met — I’m a cholo nerd, after all — but we got along just fine, because they were my brothers and sisters from another madre.

That’s why I was intrigued when J.D. Vance’s memoir, “Hillbilly Elegy,” was released in 2016. From what I heard about it, the familial dysfunction, generational poverty and inherent fatalism that Vance overcame were similar to the pathologies of my own extended clan. The up-from-bootstraps message he preached in interviews was what my parents had always preached, and what I still subscribe to. Vance’s critique of conspicuous consumption among the poor is something everyone should consider.

But the parallels between the clean-cut Vance and me only went so far. He was a Yale graduate and venture capitalist, while I’m a community college kid who chose a dying profession. He was far removed from his roots, while I experience mine nearly every other weekend at family parties. More importantly, Vance cast himself as an extraordinary exception to his fellow Appalachians, describing ’billies as encased in a toxic amber that kept them from improving their lot and left them embittered with a country that has moved on without them.

My Mexican hillbilly family never had time to whine and mope.
And that's where I'm more like Arellano than Vance, even though I'm non-Hispanic white.  I wasn't raised to talk about how the deck was stacked against me.  I was raised to reach for what I wanted, for what would empower me.  No one ever suggested any shame at the public university route to that success.  

But we live in a different time.  Now, everyone is encouraged to play up their disadvantages and to downplay their agency.  And that is as big a difference b/w Arellano and Vance as their different ethnicities--indeed, I'd say it is a greater difference.  

Cross-posted to Working Class Whites and the Law. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy Guys

If you are in searching of Legit vendor for Fullz you are at right place
Just try my stuff you'll never be disappointed
Although, I'm giving replacement for the bad stuff as well

USA UK CANADA Fresh Fullz Info Pros Leads Available
All States & Cities info are available
Young Age, Old age, Mid age,, Every age you can asked
Real DL scan with selfie proof available
Fullz Pros with dl issue & Expiry dates available as well

Each & Every type of Fullz Pros Leads of USA UK CANADA you can get from my shop
Samples are also available for bulk buyers & for testing
No scam, will show you proof of everything as well

Contact me for the best deals & discounts
24/7 available for you

What's App - +1.. 7277.. 886.. 129..
Tele - @ leadsupplier & @ killhacks
Skype - @ peeterhacks
E mail - cyber.zoneuniverse at g mail . com

Fresh Spammed available in Thousands & Millions
Stuff will be provided within 10 mins after payment proof
Guarantee for the stuff Info & Validity

USA SSN DOB DL ADDRESS EMPLOYEE & BANK INFO FULLZ LEADS
UK NIN DOB DL ADDRESS SORT CODE ACCOUNT NUMBER FULLZ
CANADA SIN DOB DL MMN PHONE EMAIL FULLZ
DL SCAN ORIGINAL FRONT & BACK WITH SELFIE
BUSINESS EIN COMPANY FULLZ
OLD & YOUNG AGE PROS
STUDENTS PROS IN BULK
HIGH CREDIT SC PROS FULLZ 700+
FULLZ WITH SSN DL MVR
DL FULLZ WITH ISSUE & EXP DATES
EMAIL & PHONE NUMBER & BANK INFO LEADS USA UK CANADA
CC WITH CVV & DUMPS WITH PINS
CARDING & CASH OUT METHODS WITH TUTORIALS
SPAM-MMING TUTORIALS WITH TOOLS & LEADS
OFFICE365 LEADS & LOGINS

Quantity with Quality stuff available
Payment only in Crypto & Cash app