Saturday, April 23, 2022

My Rural Travelogue (Part XXXI): "Redneck wine" in northern Arizona

As regular readers will realize, I've been traveling through the American Southwest the past few weeks, ending with a few days in Sedona, Arizona, 
population 10,031.  Sedona straddles two counties:  (1) Coconino, a massive county the size of the state of Connecticut with a population of 145,401; it is home to the Grand Canyon and (2) Yavapai County, population 236,209, which more precisely is home to "West Sedona," and whose county seat is Prescott.  

One of the recommended outings from Sedona--recommended by my hotel and Trip Advisor, for example--is Cottonwood, population 11,265, about 20 miles from Sedona.  In particular, Old Town Cottonwood is touted, and I must say the town has done a great job of spiffying up a street and making it attractive to tourists.  One of the things going on in the town and region is grape-growing and wine-making.  Indeed, on my flight home from Phoenix yesterday, I sat next to a man from Phoenix who told me that he'd recently visited the area.  He called the wine from this region "redneck wine" and told me that the best grapes came from near there, in Cornville, also in the Verde Valley, population 3,280.  



Here are some photos, starting with the most interesting to the person who studies the rural lawyer shortage.  I have seen a lot of small-town lawyer offices, but never one with a sign quite like this:  


The lawyer's office below the flashy, diner-type sign 

I happened to catch the farmer's market, held
on Wednesdays from 3 pm til 6 pm
Antique/junk store on the corner 

A gas station turned .... something else

Historic building used as a community center. 

No comments: