Saturday, October 17, 2020

Coronavirus in rural America (Part XC): The jail in Cascade County, Montana

The New York Times reports today from Great Falls, Montana, population 58,434.  The story by Lucy Tompkins, Maura Turcotte and Libby Seline is headlined "'I Just Kind of Lost It’: As Coronavirus Cases Soar, One Montana Town Reels."  Here's the lede: 

For months, the jail in central Montana’s Cascade County was free of the coronavirus, which seemed as distant a threat as it did in much of the nation’s rural Mountain West.

Then a few people who had the virus were arrested. By the time Paul Krogue, the jail’s medical director, realized there was a problem, nearly 50 inmates were infected in the jail, where some had been sleeping on mats on an overcrowded floor. After several weeks, Mr. Krogue got a call that infections were spreading to a side of the jail that had been virus-free.

He hung up the phone and put his head in his hands.

“I just kind of lost it, like, ‘My God, I don’t know how much longer I can do this,’” Mr. Krogue, a nurse practitioner, recalled. “I was just scared that I’m not going to be able to see it through, that I’m going to get sick — you just feel so exhausted and it’s just a lot.”

Montana, along with neighboring North Dakota, South Dakota, Idaho, and Wyoming, is suffering the highest infection rates in the country right now.   

No comments: