Friday, August 7, 2020

Lots of attention to the rural lawyer shortage in the wake of ABA Progarm

The American Bar Association hosted a program on the rural lawyer shortage --what they call "legal deserts"--a week ago Tuesday, and I was one of the panelists.  That program has led to a proliferation of stories about this phenomenon, including this one published yesterday by Legal Examiner.  The headline is "Bar Association:  Lack of lawyers in rural areas leaves too many without representation."  

I'm delighted to see that the journalist, Elaine Silvistrini, quoted two of my former students who practice law in rural northern California, specifically Mendocino and Lake counties, which are contiguous.  I'm also happy to say that both of these students love their practices--so much so that Silvistrini, after speaking to the two, Alexander Rich and Kaly Rule, came back to me and inquired, "you said it was a crisis, but they don't sound like they're in crisis."  I pointed out that these young lawyers work in area where there are lawyers--duh, if only them--and you could still have a crisis in the places where there are no lawyers.  Further, enjoying one's work is not inconsistent with a crisis nearby and for others in the community.  

Other issues Silvistrini touches on include the aging of the rural profession and the criminal justice implications of the rural lawyer shortage, including the rising census in rural jails, fueled in part by the absence of attorneys to represent folks when they are initially arrested.  Silvistrini also interviewed two young lawyers in South Dakota, both of whom are participating in the Rural Attorney Recruitment Program, and she spoke to Phil Garland of Garner, Iowa, an older lawyer who has been on the vanguard of matchmaking between older lawyers approaching retirement and younger lawyers open to rural practice.  He was featured prominently in this piece on Law 360 last year.  

Other pieces about the rural lawyer shortage have appeared in the Daily Journal, including an op-ed I co-authored with Kelly Beskin, Class of 2021.  The Daily Journal items are behind a paywall, but you can link to the story here on the UC Davis webpage.  A Law 360 story is here.   

1 comment:

dominguezmarta said...

Beware of Binary options/ forex trading/ crypto currency scams

I initially invested a total sum of $95,000 over a period of 18 weeks. My bonus/profit was $192,000, every attempt to make withdrawals failed and I was instructed to make another deposit of $25,000 before I can make withdrawals which I did. Up till before I wrote this I was still unable to make withdrawals and all attempt to contact my broker failed. This is very pathetic and I advise everyone to desist from trading generally. I did a due diligence test before investing with them but guess what I ended up getting burned. This is to create awareness, not everybody can be as lucky as I was. I’m saying this because I was able to recover my funds through the help of Mr Troy Hermes. Thanks to him ( Troy Hermes. he’s a private investigator and wealth recovery expert… Contact him on email( troyhermes8@gmail.com) for more enquiries. And he will guide you on steps to take and get back all you have lost. Am very happy to share this because i love seeing someone smile again.