Thursday, August 22, 2019

Rural on the radio

Sarah Smarsh, author of Heartland:  Growing up Broke in the Richest Country on Earth and host of the new podcast The Homecomers, appeared on NPR's 1A yesterday.  Along with Smarsh, host Joshua Johnson also had on April Simpson, rural reporter for the Pew Trust and Esther Honig, of the NPR affiliate in Greeley, Colorado (University of Northern Colorado), who reports on agriculture and immigration. 

I can't say I learned a lot I didn't already know about trends in rural America, but it was fun to listen to these journalists who are focused on rural in a metrocentric news world.  One of my favorite parts of the segment:  Honig talking about how small-town Coloradans are welcoming diverse populations in the meat packing regions of eastern Colorado.

I blogged about one of April Simpsons' stories, regarding the rural lawyer shortage, here.  The Daily Yonder wrote about that story here.

No comments: