Saturday, September 7, 2019

My Rural Travelogue (Part XXV): Is "rural" the word for "rural" across Europe?

I am wrapping up a few weeks in Europe, where I have visited France, Spain (including Catalan, Basque and Galician regions), and Portugal, and I have noticed the word "rural" being used in each of these places just as it is in the United States.  I believe the Latin for rural is "ruralis," so to the extent all of these languages are Latin-based, it makes sense that they all use the word "rural."  Also, I noted that signs about rural accommodation, like the one at bottom, often also mentioned agri-tourism, perhaps as a synonym. 

Near Beaune, France.  As far as I can tell, the sign marks some rural accommodation at a vineyard.
(c) Lisa R. Pruitt 2019
Arga de Baixo, Portugal (near Ponte de Lima).  Sign translates to "Rural Center of Reconco."
(c) Lisa R. Pruitt 2019

Rural Kutxa means Rural Bank, photo taken in Bilbao, Spain
(c) Lisa R. Pruitt 2019
Sign for "Casa Rural," approaching Elantxobe, Bizkaia (Basque Country). 
Yes, that is the Atlantic Ocean in the distance,
visible between wall on left and building on the right.
(c) Lisa R. Pruitt 2019 

No comments: